Monday, March 28, 2011

Capitol Radio Engineering Institute

I've written about a few other radio schools in the past. I think this one is unique in that it still exists. But they no longer focus on broadcasting. Actually they don't teach broadcasting at all. Wisely they've abandoned that part of the curriculum.  Their current course catalog sports one communications course: Twenty-first Century Mass Media" that seems to include some nominal radio content. The next closest class is on wireless devices. Inexplicably, The 2005 Princeton Review Complete Book of Colleges lists them as having a radio station. If they do it's a part 15 station. I have never seen a record of their existence. Regardless, it appears that they like the rest of the nation, have moved on. (if you can confirm or deny the existence of the station please comment)

The Capitol Radio Engineering Institute, changed its name to the Capitol Institute of Technology in 1964, and in 1987 to Capitol College They began as a correspondence school like many others advertising in the back of Popular Mechanics. Unlike the others, in 1932 they opened a residence hall and hands-on classes. By 1966 they were offering genuine bachelors degrees. In 1969 they moved to Kensington, Maryland then in 1980 moved to their current residence in Laurel, Maryland on a property that used to be the Beltsville Speedway.  [you can hear a WPGC-AM ad for it here] In 1990 they began offering a Masters program.

It was founded originally in 1927 by Eugene H. Rietzke, a Navy radio operator and his wife Lillie Lou Rietzke. Eugene was born in 1897 and he served in WWI eventually becoming Chief Instructor at the Bellevue Naval Radio Material School. For His educational courses he wrote text books.  He was awarded the Marconi Memorial Gold Medal by the Veteran Wireless Operators Association in 1955 and won the DeForest Audion Gold Medal Award  in 1977. He even was awarded the James H. McGraw award in 1962.  On a related note, McGraw Hill publishing acquired a 20% ownership share of the Capitol Radio Engineering Inst. in 1967. In 1960 CREI began awarding the Rietzke Award for the Airman showing the most promise.(I don't think they use it anymore)  He died in 1983, the school lives on.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:05 PM

    Although Eugene Rietzke founded CREI in 1927, it was with his first wife, Martha Sprague Rietzke. He did not marry his second wife, Lillie Lou Rietzke, until 1947, twenty years after he founded CREI. She was not involved until that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on earth did you know that? There is so little information about him out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, great article! Here are some updates -

    You're correct, there is no radio station. There wasn't one in the early 80s when it was Capitol Tech.

    The school moved to Beltsville in the fall of 1983. I finished my courses in the last quarter taught at the old building (and trailers!) in Kensington in the Summer of 1983.

    The neatest thing about the school was their focus on "hands on" learning. You would learn theory in class, have to verify theory in the lab, and write a report of your findings. A BSEET degree from Capitol gave you a head start when you moved into industry. The founder's wife, Lillie Rietzke, was very proud of this, and she was very active in DC until her death a few years ago.

    In the 80s the EET degrees were assaulted by traditional colleges with EE programs, and the college started their Electrical Engineering program. They have branched out into Information Assurance degrees and have a PhD program.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:27 PM

    I completed the CREI course somewhere around the early or mid sixties. I had my diploma for a long time, certainly until around 1982 when I applied for a position with the Government of Alberta. Unfortunately I've misplaced it and would really like to display it to my family members. Is there anyone who would mail/email me a copy of their diploma, so I could display it in my home. I'm now 85 years old an the younger family members don't think I educated myself.
    Norm Hagan normh@rideau.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. CREI_Iran_compressed.pdf

    I completed the CREI Radio Engineering Technology course during mid 60's.. During days when CREI instructors cycle through outline locations to support military and state department students while abroad. Don't know where my degree/diploma's hiding after many moves.. However found copy of my student ID while serving US Embassy, Tehran-Iran and Kagnew Station, Asmara - Big Time Radio Facilities as Chief Technical Controller 66'-68' SSG Theodore Harris - US Army Signal Corp/DCA/Strategic Comms Comd

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a slide rule from CREI, ca. 1959. The case declares it's from "Capitol Radio Engineering Institute, Washington 10, D.C.," along with the school emblem. I have no other association with the school; my interest is that I collect slide rules. But your write-up here was just the info I wanted to fill in a bit of its history. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete